Thursday, 5 November 2015

Nurse Reflection Paper



A nurse I Am is a documentary that was produced by David Hoffman is the producer of A Nurse I Am documentary. The movie pays tribute to exceptional nurses, celebrates the nursing professional as a whole, and salutes those who facilitate healing through their intellectual capacity, critical thinking and empathy. Nevertheless, this movie is a suitable resource for facilitators, instructors and employers in helping to rekindle and maintain the passion and excitement that inspired nurses to be nurses (Chancellor, 2013). This is the appropriate movie for nurses who have freshly graduated, those working with them as well as experienced nurses.

In this movie, we encounter nurses that exhibit amazing moral audacity and advocate the best interest of those patients they attend to, most of who are from poor social backgrounds. Furthermore, it is clear from the movie that ethical practices and values are the foundation stones for moral actions in this profession are based. In A nurse I Am, the interactions and voices of Ardis, Bob, Angela, Mona and others in the entire documentary snatched me and would not let go. I really wanted learn more about everything they do and where and how they knew how to do it in such an admirable way.

Watching this movie, as an educator of patients and a nurse, has made me realize that it is my duty to be educated and informed about varied heritages, religions, ethnicities and cultural practices that I will be encountering in the day to day life in this profession and in our society that is multicultural and pluralistic. It will be a continuing life lesson that relates not only to ethnic, religious and cultural experiences that I get exposed to, but also the unceasing engagement with multicultural peers and patients to better appreciate, relate, and offer culturally sound care.

I discovered this is basically why Ardis Bush and Mona Counts are justly outstanding nurses and mentor to their colleagues and other people. Regardless of quite impressive titles (PhD, FNAP, CRNP, FAAN, FAANP) she has after her name, Mona Counts is one of most compassionate, accepting and “say the way it is” individuals I have ever met. Her real undertaking, hands down is patient advocacy and patient care in rural communities. It is evident from the movie that Mona is never judgemental when dealing with her patients, or their situations and cultural heritage of Pennsylvania’ s  small mining town where she operates her clinic. Mona is truly understood the socio- economic status, varied backgrounds and cultural differences of those in neighbouring communities and specifically at Mount Morris (Chancellor, 2013). According to me, I think this understanding, together with primary clinic care she opened, enabled her to provide treatment that her patient trusted, accepted and most importantly, contributed in. her convenience and readiness to offer house calls to meet those who can’t or will not make to come to the clinic connects her to the entire community, which she chose to be a fundamental part of. She says that “I walk the walks and does the talks” as the patient’s friend, community leader, a neighbour and a practitioner.

Ardis Bush share exactly same beliefs as Mona Counts, she has a calm look, but a strong motivation and determination that is beneficial to her patients regardless of their situations financially, lifestyle choices, cultural differences and personal beliefs. Her understanding that each patient’s need, be it emotional, spiritual, physical or most importantly medical- are all equally pertinent to the patient, these makes the patient require that priority for her too. It’s my opinion that her nonstop commitment to make her patients cognizant of their rights for care and treatment, together with letting her nurses aware of these rights is simply authorizing for patient advocacy. According to Ardis, it is equally vital, patients should not at any time have a feeling as if they are being judged, and their voices should be heard and heeded carefully. She articulates, “Patients will tell you their problems, carefully listen to what they say” and “when they tell you they feel pain-they feel pain.” 

She remains commitment to helping her patients, even if it means fulfilling the wish of a patient who is dying who demands to be baptized (Chancellor, 2013). As she was reading her poem at the end, it was very emotional reflecting on a touching journey the nurses undergo day after the other with patients and their families and also how such lives are always entangled-regardless of how long or short-lived they may be in contact, or how their beliefs and backgrounds may differ-the actions and words of these nurses and patients leave behind an everlasting impress on one other.

Conclusion
These documentaries on special nurses left me inspired to contribute positively to this world. Fascinated by what I can learn and see from my mentors and patients regarding to our differences and similarities, I have a transformed commitment to pursuing a career that grants me opportunity to advocate for others on financial, emotional, and physical levels, and most importantly patients care.


References
Chancellor, D., & Fairclough, C. (2013). I am a nurse. London: Franklin Watts.
http://www.anurseiam.com/video/



No comments:

Post a Comment